On the brink of fall, we put away our Summer things: sunscreen, pool towels, bathing suits. While packing, let’s make sure this one major summer habit is kept with us into autumn: DRINKING WATER!
It is easy to remember to bring an extra bottle of water on our hike or to pack a cooler for the beach during the hot months, but many of us forget proper hydration once our calendars flip to fall. We all know our bodies are mostly water:
• 60% of the human adult body is made up of water
• Kids have a greater percentage, around 65%
• The human brain and heart are 73% water
The number most forget: Adults should be drinking half their body weight in ounces.Anyone exposed to heat or exercising should be surpassing this number.
Hydration is key to overall health, plain and simple. Each and every cell, tissue and organ needs water to function at its best. Staying hydrated will:
• Help the heart pump blood throughout the body more easily
• Aid weight loss
• Combat fatigue
• Ease allergy and asthma discomfort
• Give your skin a healthy glow while reducing acne and other common skin ailments
• Flush out unwanted bacteria
• Slow the aging process
Beside drinking water throughout the day, fruit juices, vegetable juices, milk and teas can contribute to daily hydration. Because sugar is packed into many fruit juices we want to ensure we are not talking all the hydration we need in a day from sugary juices. Another source of hydration is found in solid foods. Be sure to add berries, tomatoes and lettuce to your plates! Happy Fall!